The Queen’s County Heath Golf Club dates to November 1889 and is the seventh oldest golf club in Ireland. The Maryboro Golf Club was registered in 1903 and its existence is recorded until 1916. The remains of an old Royal Irish Constabulary Barracks forms part of the machinery shed, and it is known that its members played golf on the Heath in the early 1920s. The present Club “The Heath Golf Club” was founded in 1930 and golf has been played on the Heath ever since then.
The course was a 9 hole one until 1971 when it was extended to 18 holes. The course is situated on a site called the Greatheath, which is heathland and plays like an inland links course. Horse racing took place in the 19th century on a track that is visible to the right of the first fairway. The clubhouse, located in the same position as the old Grandstand of 1889, was rebuilt in 1991 and officially opened in August 1992. The circular stone ruin on the left of the 18th fairway was most probably a viewing stand for the races. The driving range was built in 1987.
The Greatheath area contains significant bronze age archaeological features. A ring barrow, a circular mound associated with burial rites, is visible as you walk between the Blue/White/Yellow and the Red tee boxes on the 6th fairway. It is one of many such features in the broader area of the Greatheath. The 13th green was a Rath ( a medieval circular enclosure for protection of animals or people) while potato ridges, dating from the famine days are visible on the 5th fairway.
The land is owned by the government of Ireland, and the Club has a licence to operate the course granted by the Office of Public Works (OPW). As the site is shared with grazing sheep the Club operates within guidelines set by an agreement with Graziers representatives, Club representatives and monitored by the OPW. For example, a programme of removal of non-native trees is almost complete. Use of fertilisers is prohibited.